Basketball is a sport that requires plenty of movements, such as running, dribbling, shooting, etc. At some point, you may have wondered if it is possible to listen to earbuds while in-game. Well, the short answer is yes. You can listen to your earbuds while playing basketball, but make sure that it is wireless! Oddly though, using earbuds was banned during the 2004 NBA pregame warm-ups. Earbuds were considered non-conforming to the rules of proper attire on the court.
Music has the power to motivate us while doing our jobs, and basketball is no exception. Many basketball players turn to music to spark motivation in themselves, mostly while they are prepping in the locker room or warming up on the court. They even listen to their earbuds during the actual game using the best wireless earbuds designed for basketball.
So if you want to listen to your earbuds while playing basketball, here are some tips for you to remember.
Tips for Wearing Earbuds When Playing Basketball
- Choose the earbuds that perfectly fit your ears. Human ears are as unique as fingerprints; hence no one-size-fits-all earbuds can fit perfectly into any ear. Before wearing your earbuds, make sure that you have chosen the right size of ear tips for you. You can try different styles and brands to find your perfect pair.
- Choose waterproof and sweat-proof earbuds. Earbuds always falling out of your ear can be an annoying distraction when playing basketball. You can’t afford to keep on picking up your earbuds on the floor while the game is ongoing. To avoid this scenario, make sure to wear waterproof and sweat-proof earbuds. Waterproof earbuds are suitable for playing in rainy weather, while sweat-proof earbuds are best for hot weather.
- Insert your earbuds more snugly. When inserting your earbuds into your ear canal, gently tug your ear lobe to widen your ear’s opening a little bit. Push the earbud into your ear and release the lobe to form a tight seal around the earbud. This technique will prevent your earbuds from falling out of your ears.
- Do not use cotton swabs when cleaning your ears. Ear doctors discourage using cotton swabs for cleaning your ears because they can push earwax against your eardrum and cause a blockage in your ear canal. You can try other methods of ridding earwax.
- Minimize jaw movements when in-game. If your jaw is closer to your ear canal, opening and closing your jaw may push the earbuds out of your ears. Not moving your jaw is impossible, so at least try to minimize it.
Best Earbuds for Playing Basketball
There are plenty of earbuds specially designed for basketball, and here we present the top picks and the reasons for choosing them.
- JBL Under Armour Wireless Earbuds. This kind of earbuds combines JBL, and Under Armour technologies, so you can expect that it is designed with excellent audio output quality and ergonomics. These earbuds have a comfortable fit and Ambient Aware feature that allows you to talk to your teammates while using them.
- Jaybird X3 Wireless Sports Earbuds. These earbuds boast extended battery life and an in-line control panel that makes using them inside the court more convenient. They are sweat-proof and have a universal fit.
- Bose Sound Sport Pulse Wireless Headphones. These earbuds are specifically designed for rigorous activities. They have long battery life and are also sweat-proof.
- Jaybird Run True Wireless Earbuds. These waterproof and sweat-proof earbuds are known for their comfortable and interchangeable fit. Aside from these features, they have a battery life of five hours and can give you real-time heart rate readings.
- Sony SP700N Wireless Sports Earbuds. These earbuds are true wireless that can sync with Apple or Android phones thru Bluetooth technology. They also have noise-cancelling features and can last up to 9 hours of activity.
Other popular earbuds are:
- BeatsX Wireless In-Ear Headphones
- JBL Reflect Mini 2 Wireless Headphones
- Anker Sound Buds Slim Sports Headphones
- Urbanears Stadion Headphones
- Jabra Elite Active Wireless Sports Earbuds.
Certainly, there are more brands and styles that you can choose from to suit your needs.
Earbuds can be worn while playing basketball to keep you motivated or energized. However, some precautions need to be observed because earbuds may fall out of your ear and distract your game. You can choose from a variety of earbuds designed primarily for basketball.